Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  How do I reserve a space for my child at Camp Quest of Minnesota?
A:  We need complete registration materials, and a deposit of $100 to register your child.  Register via our Register page. Complete registration materials means all blanks are filled in with correct, legible information and the parent or guardian has signed the general release, authorization for medical care, and permissions to engage in specific camp activities.  We also need an emergency contact besides yourself in case we can’t reach you.

Q: Why do I have to provide an immunization record for my camper?
A: To protect all of our campers, we will be enforcing our immunization policy more strongly. Our policy closely follows state law regarding immunization schedules to be followed. The one difference, is that Camp Quest will not allow conscientious objection. Campers who cannot receive immunizations due to a medical reason will be allowed to attend camp, however. More information regarding immunizations can be found here:

Q:  Do I have to wait until my child has a physical before I can register him/her?
A:  No.  You can register now and upload the physical exam form so that we get it no later than two weeks before camp.  We do not need to have the physical exam form in hand to register your child.

Q:  How do I apply for financial assistance?
A:  A limited number of full or partial scholarships are available for those who need financial assistance.  Please indicate on your registration that you would like to be contacted with scholarship information.

Q:  What should we pack for camp?
A:  See the list here.

Q:  When and where do I drop off and pick up the campers?
A:  Drop off your camper at Voyageur Environmental Center at 7000 County Road 15 Mound, MN 55364. Drop off is between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m on the first day of camp.

Q:  When is full payment due?
A:  We must have your payment in full one month before camp opens. You can pay for your balance here: ActiveCamps Portal.

Q:  Is the $100 deposit refundable?
A:  No.

Q:  My question does not appear on this list.  Who do I contact with questions?
A:  Our camp director will field any questions:

Q:  Can I use my child’s physical exam form from last summer?
A:  Maybe.  Per American Camp Association standards, each camper must have a physical exam within the two years prior to the first day of camp.  If your child’s health has changed materially, you should get a new exam done so we have accurate information.

Q:  I have a physical exam form for my child for a different camp or a sports team.  Will you accept that?
A:  Yes, provided it has essentially the same information and is signed by a licensed physician.  It also must be current (within the past two years).

Q:  What are some things that we should NOT bring to camp?
A:  Campers are not allowed to have cellular phones, videogames, or music players.  We want this to be a time to set aside those conveniences and focus on what is happening at camp.  Campers are also not allowed to bring pets or dangerous items (fireworks, weapons of any kind, tobacco, alcohol, or controlled substances).

Q:  Can we get extra T-shirts?
A:  Sure!  One T-shirt is included with the registration fee, but you can purchase more on the first and last days of camp.

Q:  How do I volunteer to be a counselor?
A:  Apply via our Volunteer page.

Q:  How do I make a donation?
A:  Donate via our Give MN site.

Q:  Who runs this camp, anyway?
A:  Camp Quest of Minnesota is an independent non-profit organization founded in 2003.  The camp is governed by a Board of Directors who serve as volunteers, and operated by a staff of volunteer counselors.  The name ”Camp Quest”  is used under a licensing agreement with Camp Quest, Inc, an umbrella organization overseeing eight Camp Quests in the United States and three in other countries.  All Camp Quests share a common purpose and mission, and all are operated as non-profit organizations by volunteers.

Q:  I’d love to come to Camp Quest of Minnesota, but I’m busy the week you have camp.  What are my options?
A:  Register at one of our affiliates in another state.  You can find them here.